* (noun) cruel or inhumane treatment
Other definitions and usage examples for Abuse in different contexts:
- (verb) treat badly; "This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
- (noun) a rude expression intended to offend or hurt; "when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
- (verb) change the inherent purpose or function of something; "Don''t abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
- (noun) improper or excessive use;
- (verb) use foul or abusive language towards; "The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
- (v. t.) To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to
a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse
inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's
- (v. t.) To use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish
or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse one's
powers, one's patience.;
- (v. t.) To revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage.;
- (v. t.) To dishonor.;
- (v. t.) To violate; to ravish.
- (v. t.) To deceive; to impose on.
- (v. t.) Improper treatment or use; application to a wrong or bad
purpose; misuse; as, an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil
rights, or of privileges or advantages; an abuse of language.
- (v. t.) Physical ill treatment; injury.
- (v. t.) A corrupt practice or custom; offense; crime; fault; as,
the abuses in the civil service.
- (v. t.) Vituperative words; coarse, insulting speech; abusive
language; virulent condemnation; reviling.
- (v. t.) Violation; rape; as, abuse of a female child.
Show more »
Take In Vain